You can find here talk slides and other media of past meetings of the journal club as well as notification about upcoming meetings and other activities. The journal club normally meets once in every two weeks to discuss a topic of current interest in quantum condensed matter physics.
Welcome to QCMJC
Next talk announcement
- Speaker: Oindrila Deb
- Title: Topological characterization of periodically driven quantum systems
- Date & Time: 29th December 2016 (Thursday), 2:15PM
- Venue: Auditorium, New Physical Sciences Building, IISc
Topological properties of physical systems can lead to robust behaviors that are insensitive to microscopic details. Such topologically robust phenomena are not limited to static systems but can also appear in periodically driven quantum systems. However, the topological classification framework for static systems may not be valid in a driven system. For example, in periodically driven systems in two dimension, robust chiral edge states can appear even though the Chern number of all the bulk Floquet bands are zero. I will talk about a new topological invariant that can be constructed using the driven system’s evolution operator throughout one driving period. This topological invariant gives the correct edge state structure in the driven case.
1. T. Kitgawa, E. Berg, M. Rudner and E. Demler, Phys. Rev. B 82, 235114 (2010).
2. M. Rudner, N. H. Lindner, E. Berg and M. Levin, Phys. Rev. X 3, 031005 (2013).