| Sriram Ramaswamy Research
Research interests and activities:
Nonequilibrium, soft-matter and biological physics
MY COMPLETE CV (pdf)
Recent publications and preprints
- Stability from activity, A Maitra, P Srivastava, M C Marchetti, J
Lintuvuori, S Ramaswamy, and M Lenz, (arXiv:1711.02407)
- The low noise phase of a 2d active nematic, S Shankar, S Ramaswamy, M C Marchetti (arXiv:1710.05400) Phys Rev E (to appear)
- Inferring critical points of ecosystem transitions from spatial data, S Majumder, K Tamma, S Ramaswamy, V Guttal (bioRxiv:2017/187799)
- Active Matter, S Ramaswamy, J. Stat. Mech. (2017) 054002 (arxiv.org/1705.06269)
- Hydrodynamic instabilities in active cholesteric liquid crystals
C A Whitfield, T C Adhyapak, A Tiribocchi, G P Alexander, D Marenduzzo,
and S Ramaswamy, Eur Phys Jour E 40 (2017) 50 (arxiv.org/1701.05022)
- Asymmetric exchange in flocks, L P Dadhichi, R Chajwa, A Maitra and S.
- Sorting motile rods by activity, N Kumar, H Soni, R K Gupta, S Ramaswamy, A.K. Sood, arXiv:1603.08535
- The glass susceptibility: growth kinetics and saturation under shear, S K Nandi,
S Ramaswamy, Phys. Rev. E 94, 012607 (2016); arXiv:1309.2389
- Silent Flocks, Andrea Cavagna, Irene Giardina, Tomas S. Grigera, Asja Jelic,
Dov Levine, Sriram Ramaswamy, Massimiliano Viale, Phys Rev Lett 114, 218101
(2015); arXiv:1410.2868; Editor’s Choice and highlighted with a Synopsis in
- Anisotropic Isometric Fluctuation Relations in experiment and theory on a self-
propelled rod, Nitin Kumar, Harsh Soni, Sriram Ramaswamy, and A.K. Sood,
Phys. Rev. E 91, 030102 (R) (2015); arXiv:1502.04466
- Active Viscoelastic Matter: from Bacterial Drag Reduction to Turbulent Solids,
E. J. Hemingway, A. Maitra, S. Banerjee, M. C. Marchetti, S. Ramaswamy, S. M.
Fielding, M. E. Cates, Phys Rev Lett 114, 098302 (2015); arXiv:1410.6077
- Flocking at a distance in active granular matter, Nitin Kumar, Harsh Soni, Sriram
Ramaswamy and A.K. Sood, Nature Communications 5: 4688 doi:10.1038/ncomms5688
highlighted in http://tinyurl.com/m3quo2f, http://tinyurl.com/l46stfj,
- Universal power law in crossover from integrability to quantum chaos, R Modak,
S Mukerjee, S Ramaswamy, Phys. Rev. B 90 (2014) 075152; arXiv:1309.1865.
- Aspects of the density field in an active nematic, S Mishra, S Puri and S Ra-
maswamy, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 372: 20130364 (2014);
- Activating membranes, A Maitra, P Srivastava, M Rao and S Ramaswamy, Phys
Rev Lett 112 (2014) 258101; arXiv:1311.5055.
- Clusters, asters and collective oscillations in chemotactic colloids, S Saha, R
Golestanian, S Ramaswamy, Phys Rev E 89 (2014) 062316; arXiv:1309.4947.
- Nonequilibrium noise in electrophoresis: the microion wind, Suropriya Saha, S
Ramaswamy, Phys Rev E 89 (2014) 032307
- Actomyosin contractility rotates the cell nucleus, A Kumar, A Maitra, M Sumit,
S Ramaswamy, G V Shivashankar, Sci. Rep. 4, 3781; DOI:10.1038/srep03781
- Phase-Synchronized State of Oriented Active Fluids, S. Fürthauer and S. Ra-
maswamy, arXiv:1307.5705, Phys Rev Lett 111 (2013) 238102
- Mesoscopic theory for fluctuating active nematics, E Bertin, H Chaté, F Ginelli, S
Mishra, A Peshkov, S Ramaswamy, New J. Phys. 15 (2013) 085032; arXiv:1305.0772
- The actin cortex as an active wetting layer, J.-F. Joanny, K. Kruse, J. Prost, S.
Ramaswamy, arXiv:1302.5025, Eur. Phys. J. E 36 (2013) 52
- Yielding and large deviations in micellar gels: a model, S K Nandi, B Chakraborty,
A K Sood and S Ramaswamy, J. Stat. Mech. (2013) P02027; arXiv:1210.1987
- Live Soap: Order, Fluctuations and Instabilities in Active Smectics, T.C. Adhya-
pak, S. Ramaswamy, and John Toner, http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.2708, Phys.
Rev. Lett. 110 (2013) 118102
- Hydrodynamics of Soft Active Matter, M. C. Marchetti, J.-F. Joanny, S. Ramaswamy, T. B.
Liverpool, J. Prost, M. Rao, R.A. Simha, (arxiv.org/1207.2929) Rev. Mod.
Phys. 85 (2013) 1143-1189
- Theory of the domain growth of glassy correlations, S.K. Nandi, S. Ramaswamy (arxiv.org/1205.1152) Phys Rev Lett, 109 (2012) 115702
- Oscillatory settling in wormlike-micelle solutions: bursts and a long time scale,
N. Kumar, S. Majumdar, A. Sood, R. Govindarajan, S. Ramaswamy and A.K. Sood, Soft Matter 8 (2012) 4310 (Hot Article) (arxiv.org/1203.2130)
- A drop of active matter, J.-F. Joanny and S. Ramaswamy, J. Fluid Mech. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2012.131) (arxiv.org/1201.2794)
- Mode-coupling glass transition in a fluid confined by a periodic potential, S.K. Nandi, S.M. Bhattacharyya, S. Ramaswamy, Phys. Rev. E 84 (2011) 061501 (arxiv.org/abs/1111.0155)
- Symmetry Properties of the Large-Deviation Function of the Velocity of a Self-Propelled Polar Particle, Nitin Kumar, Sriram Ramaswamy, and A. K. Sood, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106 (2011) 118001 (Editor's Suggestion)
- The Mechanics and Statistics of Active Matter, S Ramaswamy,
Annu. Rev. Condens. Matt. Phys. 1 (2010) 323-345 (Inaugural Issue)
- A Dynamic Renormalization Group Study of Active Nematics,
S Mishra, R A Simha, S Ramaswamy
(J. Stat. Mech.(2010) P02003)
- Nonequilibrium noise in electrophoresis: the microion wind,
S Saha, S Ramaswamy
Dynamics of a stiff biopolymer in an actively contractile background:
buckling, stiffening and negative dissipation,
N Kikuchi, A Ehrlicher, D Koch, J A Kaes, S Ramaswamy, M Rao
[PNAS 106 (2009) 19776-19779]
- Universality Class of the Reversible-Irreversible Transition in Sheared Suspensions,
G I Menon, S Ramaswamy, Phys Rev E 79 (2009) 061108
- Instabilities and waves in thin films of living fluids,
Sumithra Sankararaman and Sriram Ramaswamy, Phys Rev Lett 102 (2009) 118107
- Exact solution of a Brownian inchworm model for self-propulsion, A. Baule, K.
Vijay Kumar and S. Ramaswamy, J. Stat. Mech. (2008) P11008
- Active elastic dimers: self-propulsion and current reversal on a featureless track,
K. Vijay Kumar, S. Ramaswamy and M. Rao, Phys Rev E (Rapid Comm.)
77 (2008) 020102 R
- Active-filament hydrodynamics: instabilities, boundary conditions and rheology,
S. Ramaswamy and M. Rao, New Journal of Physics 9 (2007) 423 (Focus Issue
on Physics of the Cytoskeleton).
- Perspectives on the mode-coupling approximation for the dynamics of interacting
Brownian particles, A. Basu and S. Ramaswamy, J. Stat. Mech. (2007) P11003.
- Long-lived giant number fluctuations in a swarming granular nematic,
V. Narayan, S. Ramaswamy, N. Menon, Science 317 (2007) 105 [see Perspective: M van Hecke, Science 317 (2007) 49];
- Shear-flow-induced isotropic to nematic transition in a suspension of
active filaments, S. Muhuri, M. Rao and S. Ramaswamy,
Europhys Lett 78 (2007) 48002;
- Superdiffusion of concentration in wormlike-micelle solutions,
Rajesh Ganapathy, A.K. Sood, and Sriram Ramaswamy, Europhys Lett
77 (2007) 18007.
- Active nematics are intrinsically phase-separated, Shradha Mishra and Sriram Ramaswamy,
Phys Rev Lett 97 (2006) 090602
Brownian-drag induced particle current in a model colloidal system,
Moumita Das, Sriram Ramaswamy, A.K. Sood, and G. Ananthakrishna,
Phys. Rev. E 73 (2006) 061409
- Do current-density nonlinearities cut off the glass transition?
M. E. Cates and S. Ramaswamy, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96 (2006) 135701
Vijay Narayan, Narayanan Menon and Sriram Ramaswamy,
Nonequilibrium steady states in a vibrated-rod monolayer:
tetratic, nematic and smectic correlations, J. Stat. Mech. (2006) P01005.
The mechanics of active matter: Broken-symmetry hydrodynamics
of motile particles and granular layers, S. Ramaswamy and R.A. Simha,
Solid State Communications 139 (2006) 617-622
Rheological chaos in wormlike micelles and nematic hydrodynamics
Moumita Das, Ranjini Bandyopadhyay, Buddhapriya Chakrabarti, Chandan Dasgupta, Sriram
Ramaswamy and Ajay Sood, in Molecular Gels: Materials with Self-Assembled
Fibrillar Networks, Richard G. Weiss and Pierre Terech (editors), Kluwer,
- Hydrodynamics and phases of flocks, J. Toner, Y. Tu and S. Ramaswamy,
Ann. Phys. 318 (2005) 170
- Routes to spatiotemporal chaos in the rheology of nematogenic
fluids B. Chakrabarti, M. Das, C. Dasgupta, S. Ramaswamy, A.K. Sood
Rev. E 71 (2005) 021707 (cond-mat/0408282)
- Spatiotemporal rheochaos in nematic hydrodynamics B.
Chakrabarti, M. Das, C. Dasgupta, S. Ramaswamy, A.K. Sood
Rev Lett 92 (2004) 055501 (cond-mat/0311101)
- Rheology of active-particle suspensions,
Y. Hatwalne, S. Ramaswamy, M. Rao
and R. A. Simha,
Phys Rev Lett 92 (2004) 118101
- Flow-induced current and voltage generation in carbon nanotubes,
S. Ghosh, A.K. Sood, S. Ramaswamy, N. Kumar,
Phys. Rev. B 70 (2004) 205423 (cond-mat/0407803)
- The segregation instability of a sheared suspension film, R.
Govindarajan, P.R. Nott and S. Ramaswamy, submitted to Phys. Fluids
- Rheology of disordered lamellar phases, S. Sukumaran, S.
P.R. Nott and V. Kumaran, submitted to Phys Rev Lett (2003).
- Collective stochastic resonance in shear-induced melting of
M. Das, G. Ananthakrishna and S. Ramaswamy,
Phys. Rev. E 68, 061402 (2003) (cond-mat/0307519)
- Active nematics on a substrate: giant number fluctuations and
long-time tails, S. Ramaswamy, R.A. Simha and J. Toner,
Europhys.Lett. 62 (2003) 196-202 (cond-mat/0208573)
- Melting-freezing cycles in a relatively sheared pair of
crystalline monolayers, M. Das, S. Ramaswamy and G. Ananthakrishna,
Europhys Lett 60 (2002) 636-642 (cond-mat/0205030)
- Ratchet for energy transport between identical reservoirs, S.
Das, O. Narayan and S. Ramaswamy,
Phys Rev E (Rapid Comm) 66, 050103 (2002)
- Anomalous heat conduction in one dimensional momentum-conserving
O. Narayan and S. Ramaswamy,
Phys Rev Lett 89 (2002) 200601 (cond-mat/0205295)
[highlighted in R Livi and S Lepri, Nature (News and Views) 421 (2003) 327]
- Driven Heisenberg Magnets: Nonequilibrium Criticality,
Chaos and Control, J. Das, M. Rao and S. Ramaswamy,
Europhys. Lett., 60 (2002) 418-424 (cond-mat/0104566)
- Stripes in sheared non-brownian suspensions with a free surface,
R. Govindarajan, P.R. Nott and S. Ramaswamy, Proc. Statphys Kolkata
(Physica A, in press).
- Phase Diagram of a Two-Species Lattice Model with a
Linear Instability, S. Ramaswamy, M. Barma, D. Das,
and A. Basu (Proc. Discussion Meeting on Slow Dynamics and Freezing,
Jawaharlal Nehru University), Phase Transitions B 75 (2002) 363-375
- Hydrodynamic fluctuations and instabilities in ordered
of self-propelled particles, R. A. Simha and S. Ramaswamy
Phys Rev Lett 89 (2002) 058101 (pdf file of
- Statistical hydrodynamics of ordered suspensions of
particles: waves, giant number fluctuations and instabilities,
R.A. Simha and S. Ramaswamy (Proc. STATPHYS21)
Physica A 306 (2002) 262-269 (pdf file
- Theory of Suspension Segregation in Partially Filled
Horizontal Rotating Cylinders, R. Govindarajan, P.R. Nott and Sriram
Ramaswamy, Phys. Fluids (Lett.) 13 (2001) 3517-3520 (pdf file of paper)
- The physics of active membranes, S. Ramaswamy and Madan Rao,
C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris (special issue on Physics at the Scale of the
t. 2, Ser. IV, 817-839 (2001).
- Issues in the statistical mechanics of steady sedimentation,
S. Ramaswamy, Adv. Phys. 50 (2001) 297-341.
(pdf file of paper)
- Weak and strong dynamic scaling in a one-dimensional driven
coupled-field model: Effects of kinematic waves, D. Das, A. Basu,
M. Barma and S. Ramaswamy, Phys.
Rev. E 64 (2001) 021402 (pdf file of paper)
- Active Membrane Fluctuations Studied by Micropipet Aspiration,
J-B. Manneville, P. Bassereau, S. Ramaswamy, J. Prost,
Phys. Rev. E 64 (2001) 021908 (pdf file of
- Nonequilibrium noise, steady states, and instabilities
in membranes with active proteins
S. Ramaswamy, J. Toner,
and J. Prost, Phys. Rev. Lett.
84 (2000) 3494-3497 (pdf file of paper)
- Strong phase separation in a model for sedimenting
R. Lahiri, M. Barma, and S. Ramaswamy
Phys. Rev. E
61 (2000) 1648 (pdf file of paper)
- Inequivalence of ensembles in a driven diffusive system
M. Acharyya, A. Basu, R. Pandit, and S. Ramaswamy
Phys. Rev. E
61 (2000) 1139 (pdf file of paper)
- Travelling waves in a drifting flux lattice
R. Aditi Simha and S. Ramaswamy
Lett 83 (1999) 3285 (pdf file of paper)
- Structure and rheology of the defect-gel states of pure and
particle-dispersed lyotropic lamellar phases,
G. Basappa, Suneel, V. Kumaran, P.R. Nott, S. Ramaswamy, V.M. Naik and
Eur. Phys. Jour. B 12 (1999) 269-276. (pdf file of
- Mean magnetic field and noise cross-correlation in
magnetohydrodynamic turbulence: results from a one-dimensional model,
A. Basu, J.K. Bhattacharjee and S. Ramaswamy,
Eur. Phys. Jour. B 9 (1999) 725-730 (pdf file of
- Screened and unscreened phases in sedimenting suspensions,
A. Levine, S. Ramaswamy, E. Frey and R. Bruinsma,
Lett. 81, 5944-5947 (1998) (pdf file of
- (i) Self-diffusion of colloids at freezing;
diffusion in colloids;
(iii) Excess dissipation in dense emulsions;
three chapters in Theoretical Challenges in the Dynamics of Complex
(lectures in a NATO Advanced Study Institute), Ed. T C B McLeish,
Kluwer 1997 (three .ps files tarred into a single
- Are steadily moving crystals unstable? R. Lahiri and
S. Ramaswamy, Phys. Rev.
Lett. 79, 1150-1153 (1997)
(pdf file of paper)