Research interests and activities:High-resolution spectroscopy; Absolute frequency measurements;
Quantum optics; Hyperfine-structure measurements; Laser cooling and trapping of
atoms; Search for
electric dipole moment using laser-cooled Yb atoms as a test of time-reversal symmetry violation; Ion trapping and its use in
quantum computation; Optical tweezers and trapping of single RBCs.
Awards and Honors
- Swarnajayanti Fellowship of the Department of Science & Technology for the period 2006-2011.
- Homi Bhabha Fellowship awarded by the Homi Bhabha Fellowships Council for the period 2007-2009.
- Elected to Sigma-Xi Honor Society of USA in 1993.
- 64. Sapam Ranjita Chanu, Alok K. Singh, Boris Brun, Kanhaiya Pandey, and Vasant Natarajan, "Subnatural linewidth in a strongly-driven degenerate two-level system", Opt. Commun. 284, 252 (2011).
- 63. Harish Ravishankar, Sapam Ranjita Chanu, and Vasant Natarajan, "Chopped nonlinear magneto-optic rotation: A technique for precision measurementsa', Europhys. Lett. 94, 53002 (2011).
- 62. Kanhaiya Pandey, K. D. Rathod, Sambit Bikas Pal, and Vasant Natarajan, "Role of population transfer under strong probe conditions in electromagnetically induced transparency", Opt. Commun. 284, 252 (2011).
- 61. Alok K. Singh, Lal Muanzuala, and Vasant Natarajan, "Precise measurement of hyperfine structure in the 2P1/2 state of 7Li using saturated-absorption spectroscopy", Phys. Rev. A 82, 042504 (2010).
- 60. Kanhaiya Pandey, K. D. Rathod, Alok K. Singh, and Vasant Natarajan, "Atomic fountain of laser-cooled Yb atoms for precision measurements", Phys. Rev. A 82, 043429 (2010).
- 59. Vishal Saraogi, P. Padmapriya, Apurba Paul, Utpal S. Tatu, and Vasant Natarajan, "Change in spectrum of Brownian fluctuations of optically-trapped red blood cells due to malarial infection", J. Biomed. Opt. 15, 037003 (2010).
- 58. Kanhaiya Pandey, K. D. Rathod, Sambit Bikas Pal, and Vasant Natarajan, "Magnetic trapping of Yb in the metastable 3P2 state", Phys. Rev. A 81, 033424 (2010).
- 57. M. Ummal Momeen, G. Rangarajan, and Vasant Natarajanm, "Transient response of nonlinear magneto-optic rotation in a paraffin-coated Rb vapor cell", Phys. Rev. A 81, 013413 (2010).
- 56. Kanhaiya Pandey, Alok K. Singh, P. V. Kiran Kumar, M. V. Suryanarayana, and Vasant Natarajan, ''Isotope shifts and hyperfine structure in the 555.8-nm 1S0 → 3P1 line of Yb'', Phys. Rev. A 80, 022518 (2009).
- 55. S. M. Iftiquar and Vasant Natarajan, ''Line narrowing of electromagnetically induced transparency in Rb with a longitudinal magnetic field'', Phys. Rev. A 79, 013808 (2009).
- Umakant D. Rapol, "Towards precision spectrocopy using laser-cooled atoms" (April 2003).
- Ayan Banerjee, "Precise frequency measurements of atomic transitions" (April 2004).
- Dipankar Das, "High-precision optical frequency metrology (July 2007).
- Kanhaiya Pandey, "Laser cooling and trapping of Yb towards high-precision measurements (July 2010).