About the department

Established in 1933 by the Nobel Laureate C.V. Raman, the Department of Physics soon evolved into the leading centre in the country for advanced postgraduate education and cutting-edge research in physics.

The largest number of Ph.D.s in physics in India -- 110 since 1998 -- come from this department. Graduates from the department have gone on to distinguished careers in science and occupy leading positions in research institutes in India and the world over.

 

History

The Department of Physics was established in the year 1933 by Prof. Sir C.V. Raman. It soon evolved into an advanced centre for research with outstanding work in optics and spectroscopy.

Several illustrious names of Indian Science such as Homi Bhabha, Vikram Sarabhai, R.S.Krishnan, G.N.Ramachandran and S.Ramaseshan have been associated with this department.

The department has continued this tradition of excellence and has now become an internationally recognised centre for research in condensed matter physics and physics of biomolecules. The department also co-ordinates an interinstitutional programme in Astronomy and Astrophysics.

Many of the faculty members have received national and international recognition and several occupy high positions in national scientific institutions.

 

Events / Seminars


more


Search

Powered by Google
www Dept